Emergency Water Damage Tips for Homeowner
When you have a water loss in your home, it's easy to want to take action before help arrives. It's good to know what to do, and what to avoid doing before a SERVPRO professional arrives. Here are some helpful hints to get you through the first couple hours of your water loss.
What to do:
* If safely accessible, Shut off water source.
* Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
* Remove and prop up upholstery cushions for even drying.
* Place aluminum foil under all furniture legs to minimize stains.
* Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
* Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
* Keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
What NOT to do:
* Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
* Do not use ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.
* Do not leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpeting.
* Do not move affected furniture or expensive paintings to a non-affected area.
Remember: These tips are for clean water situations only, and should not be applied to sewage backups or any other dirty water losses. Proper emergency response to a loss significantly reduces further damage and replacement costs. Let a trained and certified crew from SERVPRO of Eaton County help make it "Like it never even happened."