Emergency Fire Damage Tips for Homeowners
When you have a fire loss in your home, it's easy to want to take action before help arrives. It's good to know what to do, and what to avoid doing before a SERVPRO professional arrives. Here are some helpful hints to get you through the first couple hours of your fire loss.
* Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
* If the electricity is turned off, empty freezers and refrigerator, and prop doors open.
* Wipe soot from chrome on all kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances, then protect them with a light coating of lubricant.
* Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage.
What NOT To Do:
* Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a SERVPRO Professional.
* Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
* Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without first consulting a repair service.
Remember: Proper emergency response to a loss significantly reduces further damage and replacement costs. Let a trained and certified crew from SERVPRO of Eaton County help make it "Like it never even happened."